What is personal lubricant, and why it is important
Personal lubricants are specially formulated liquids used during sexual activities such as masturbation and intercourse to minimize friction. They are also applied to adult toys to ease penetration, either vaginal or anal. There are four types; water-based, silicone-based, oil-based, and hybrid.
You can read more on our personal lubes review here.
Astroglide and KY brands overview
KY lubricants vs. Astroglide has been a long-standing battle. However, when it comes to lubes, it all goes down to personal preference. Everyone has different desires when it comes to personal products.
Astroglide is made to improve all sexual activities, giving lubrication where it’s required. Their products are designed to meet various needs. Additionally, they also have flavored products for people who love the tasty aroma.
KY, on the other hand, offers a wide range of products meant to enhance women’s and men’s pleasure. They also make massage creams. KY brand has its focus on sexual health and addresses women’s intimate health matters. It has a brand community where you can join and get more information on which lube or cream is right for you.
What is Astroglide brand?
As mentioned before, Astroglide brand focuses on enhancing all kinds of sexual activities. They provide both flavored and non-flavored products. They also have products suitable for underwater play. If you are looking for a good lube for handjobs, underwater play, or massage, then Astroglide could make a perfect companion for you.
What is KY brand?
KY is one of the best brands as far as sexual health is concerned. It offers a wide range of personal lubes meant to enhance women’s and men’s sexual pleasure. Other than lubes, they also provide massage creams and jelly. Check out the best KY lubricant here.
Astroglide vs KY lubricants comparison
If you compare Astroglide vs. KY lube, you will realize there is quite a noticeable difference even though they share some similarities. Astroglide offers a suitable option of lubes, while KY has a wide range of sexual products. Here are a few similarities and differences; you can find out more on personal lubes review online.
- Formula: They are both water-based lubricants even though with different density. For example, comparing KY jelly vs. Astroglide, KY jelly is thicker, yet both are water-based.
- Duration: On Astroglide vs. KY duration, they both last very long before re-applying. It’s one key factor to consider when buying a personal lube.
- Compatibility: Astroglide lubricants are compatible with almost all condoms and sex toys, i.e., latex and silicone. Whereas KY lubricants are only compatible with latex condoms
- Thickness: The density of these two lubes is noticeable. KY lubes are thicker while, on the other hand, Astroglide lubes are somehow liquid-like, lighter than KY.
Overall pros & cons
Here is a table summary of the pros and cons of various Astroglide vs. KY products
Do I need extra lube when using lubricated condoms?
Yes. Even though most condoms are already lubricated, you can add a few drops of lube on the outside before penetration. Ensure you check compatibility first.
What types of lubes are available?
There are for types of lubricants available on the market. These are water-based, oil-based, silicone-based, and hybrid.
Can I apply lube to my sex toys?
Absolutely. You can, and it’s advisable to, mostly if the toy is used inside your body. Keep in mind that you have to check your toy’s compatibility with the lube before purchase.
Can personal lube be used with condoms?
Yes. Make sure you use the correct lube. Check the kind of condom you are using. Some lubes are not compatible with latex condoms, while others are compatible with latex only.
Can personal lubricants be used with sex toys?
Yes. As aforementioned, check the compatibility of your toy with the lube you want to use. Not all lubes are for use with sex toys.
What ingredients to avoid in lube?
As much as lubes make our sexual experience more enjoyable, some manufacturers include ingredients that may be harmful to your health. Always watch out for such ingredients and consult your doctor before using the product. Some of the ingredients to avoid include:
- Chlorhexidine – This substance has toxic effects and may cause skin irritation.
- Glycerin – It’s linked to candidiasis; A fungal infection caused by yeast in women.
- Parabens – It is mostly used as a preservative. However, it is believed to be a breast cancer-causing agent.
- Phenoxyethanol – This substance is somehow hazardous. It causes problems such as skin irritation, and it’s toxic. High levels of Phenoxyethanol can damage the reproductive system, decrease the immune system’s effectiveness, and, more so, compromise the nervous system in newborns.
Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021
Astroglide vs KY lube, it all goes down to personal preference. Considering all we have highlighted in this article, Astroglide vs. KY, they are both excellent and top-rated products. However, there is always the best one; we’ll let you decide that. Always put into consideration how you intend to use it before purchasing. KY lubricants are a bit thicker in density, making them the perfect choice for vaginal dryness lubrication. On the other hand, Astroglide lubes are more water-like lubricants best for stimulating.
- 1 What is personal lubricant, and why it is important
- 2 Astroglide and KY brands overview
- 3 What is Astroglide brand?
- 4 Astroglide vs KY lubricants comparison
- 5 FAQ
- 6 Verdict and Our Recommendation for 2021